Lunch Box Ideas
Lunch Box Ideas
As a school we aim to provide children with a choice of healthy and balanced meals. These are provided by Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council. Dudley Council recommended guidelines are that children should be offered a varied diet which included: Starchy food, protein, a dairy item, vegetables or salad and a portion of fruit. The meals are checked to ensure they contain the recommended intake of fat and sugar.
As we are aware a number of our children bring a pack lunch to school. Here at Hurst Hill Primary, we would like to offer a few lunch box ideas which follow the recommended guidelines.
A balanced packed lunch should contain:
- Starchy foods – bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and cous cous
- Protein foods – meat, fish, eggs, soya and quorn products
- Dairy foods – yoghurt or cheese
- Vegetables or salad
- Portion of fruit
Other items of food which could be included are plain popcorn, fruit based cake or plain biscuits.
Lunch box 1
- Crackers with ham
- Sliced boiled ham
- Vegetable sticks with cream cheese dip
- Bottle of plain water
Lunch box 2
- Wholemeal roll filled with egg mayonnaise and lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Custard pot
- Bottle of diluted sugar free squash
The recommended guidelines for the maximum daily intake of free sugar:
- 4 – 6 years 4 teaspoons
- 7 – 10 years 5 teaspoons
- 11 – Adult 6 teaspoons
Here are just a few food items which include sugar content:
- Jam sandwich (white bread) – 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 Jaffa cakes – 2 ½ teaspoons sugar
- Low fat yoghurt pot (125g) – 3 teaspoons sugar
- Small packet of starmix haribos (20g) – just under 2 teaspoons
- Kit-Kat (4 finger) – 4 ¾ teaspoons
We hope that the above information helps in some way to keeping all our Hurst Hill children happy and healthy at lunchtime.
Click Here to Download this full text.
Music is good for the soul...
Term Dates 2018 - 2019...
For the latest Newsletter - go to Parents then Newsletters http://www.hursthillprim...